Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Version of Marinated Cauliflower, Olive, and Arugula Salad

















Well, I just marinated it. Packed it in tupperware for chill time. Here is the recipe:

* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 1 cup canola oil
* 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 6 cups)
* 2 cups Kalamata olives, pitted, halved
* 1 1/2 cups chopped celery


* 1 bunch green onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
* 16 cups arugula (about 10 ounces)


Whisk vinegar and mustard in small bowl; gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing generously with salt and pepper. Combine cauliflower, olives, and celery in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup dressing; toss to coat. Cover salad and remaining dressing separately; chill overnight.

Mix green onions and parsley into salad. Arrange arugula on platter; drizzle with remaining dressing. Top arugula with cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle with pepper.


My version, well I only used half a cup of oil and about half of the vinegar it called for. For some reason it did not feel as if I had 6 cups of cauliflower, but it also seemed that the dressing was just too much. I did not want my cauliflower drowning in dressing. I know its a marinade, so I will just have to wait and see. Also used a cup of celery and 2/3 of the called for olives.

Since last week, I feel low with my possibilities of cooking good food. But I am continuing and hopefully renewing myself!

I still feel as if the recipe needs something a bit more, like chili flakes. But I will wait, and see how it comes out tomorrow.














'




So I just took it to my superbowl party.  Before I left the house i put the parsely and the onions in it.  I did half a bunch of onions and it seemed fine.  I feel as if I did not have 6 cups of cauliflower, but I never weighted it either.    When I got to the party I mixed it with arugula.  I liked the end product.  People ate the salad but it was not a crowd favorite, I could tell.  My mother suggested next time I cook the cauliflower to get a sweeter taste.  So maybe next time I will do that.  Anyways, I think overall its a solid recipe.  I like vinegar things and liked this.   But everyone is different.  So tinker away for the best recipe, I most definitely will next time I try this one.


Sorry no finished product photos... : (

No comments:

Post a Comment

My search for only the best food, drinks and recipes.Another blog about my adventures in Los Angeles. Follow me in my crazy world of blogging. Only the future knows what it holds...